The Humanities Division Training Team are hosting an event on 'Cracking the US Academic Job Market' with Karen Kelsky. To book a place: https://bookwhen.com/careers
(Please register for each session if you would like to attend both presentation and workshop)
Karen Kelsky is the Founder and President of The Professor Is In (http://theprofessorisin.com/), which provides advice and consulting services on the academic job search and all elements of the academic and post-academic career.
In this talk with Q and A, I walk you through the conditions of the current American job market, the most common mistakes made by job-seekers, and the ways you can prepare your record, applications, and interviews.
• The big-picture conditions of the U.S. tenure track job market
• How to think like a search committee
• The core qualities of a successful tenure track job candidate
• The all-important 5-Year Plan
• The ethos of job market documents
• The most common mistakes made by job seekers
• The three keys to academic interviewing
• The non-academic option
We focus particularly on effective language for job applications, that showcase your achievements while avoiding the common pitfalls of narcissism, excessive humility, and hyper-emotionalism.
You'll leave with a broad understanding of the real (as opposed to fantasy) criteria of American tenure track hiring, how to tailor your record and application materials to maximize your chances of success, and how to strategize a career plan for the academic market, while keeping an eye on possible post-academic options.