As one of the youngest universities in Germany, we focus on possibilities rather than limitations. Our 11 faculties, situated in the middle of the Ruhr area, are dedicated to developing ideas with a future.
Research and teaching are our strengths. We practice diversity, support the potential of our students and staff, and are committed to equality in education. Early Career / Ph.D. opportunity in Germany (English Literature / British Culture,
Early Modern Period, including the eighteenth century).
The University of Duisburg-Essen’s Department of Anglophone Studies (Prof. Christoph Heyl, Chair of British Literature and Culture) at the Essen Campus is seeking a junior staff member (wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin/ wissenschaftlichen Mitarbeiter an Universitäten), part-time (50%), salary grade 13 TV-L (c. € 1250 pcm after taxes).
Your tasks will consist of research, teaching and administrative duties, whereby you will develop your own research and teaching profile. Additionally, you will support the chair in research projects as well as in everyday academic life. Opportunities for gaining further qualifications (particularly a Ph.D.) are offered.
At the time of employment, you will possess advanced qualifications in the field of English Literature (Master’s degree or equivalent) as well as:
- Enthusiasm for your subject plus enjoyment of research and teaching.
- A proposal for a Ph.D. project in one of the core research fields of the chair (British literature / culture of the Early Modern period, including the 18th century). Further information concerning research areas can be found at: https://www.unidue.
Please attach a two-page abstract of your research proposal.
- Good knowledge of literary and cultural history, especially of the Early Modern period. Knowledge of Latin would be an asset.
- Familiarity with digital resources relevant to research in Early Modern studies.
- Strong communication, teamwork and organisational skills.
- Teaching experience (advantageous).
- Some knowledge of German (advantageous).
Further information about the department can be found here.
Enquiries may be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Starting date: 01.10.2018 (or as close to this as possible)
Contract duration: Three years initially (with the possibility of extension)
Working time: Part-time (50% percent of a full-time position)
Application deadline: 28.08.2018
The University of Duisburg-Essen promotes employee diversity (see: http://www.uni-due.de/diversity)
It seeks to increase the number of women in academic positions. Qualified female candidates are expressly encouraged to apply and, in accordance with the equality law of the state of North Rhine- Westphalia, women with equal qualifications will be favoured.
The university encourages applications from qualified disabled candidates in accordance with § 2 (3) SGB IX.
Please submit your application by e-mail with supporting documents and citing reference
number 576-18 to:
Professor Christoph Heyl
University of Duisburg-Essen
Faculty of Humanities
Department of Anglophone Studies
Federal Republic of Germany
Tel.: +49 201/183-4961
Further information about the Department of Anglophone Studies may be found on its web page.