The Centre for Cultural, Literary and Postcolonial Studies are currently accepting proposals that respond to the title Trading Places? Empathy in Material Culture and Critical Methodologies for the CCLPS Postgraduate Conference 2018, SOAS, University of London, 18th-19th June 2018.
This interdisciplinary conference seeks to trace the ways in which empathy is articulated, experienced and exchanged as a commodity around the world. As well as focusing on empathy as a research object, it will also explore how empathy might be practised as a methodological tool in academic and non-academic contexts.
- Literary circulations of empathy,
- Empathy in industries of activism,
- The economics of empathy,
- Empathy in conflict,
- Empathy in postcolonial studies,
- Empathy as a decolonising tool,
- Worldings of empathy,
- Empathy and intersectionality,
- Empathy in the Anthropocene,
- Empathy and non-anthropocentrism (ecocriticism, the post-human, etc.),
- Empathy through social media,
- Empathy through visual artwork,
- Eurating empathy in cultural institutions,
- Methodologies of empathy,
- Manipulations of empathy.