A celebration of love in its many forms and intensities. Cherished song-cycles by John Ireland and Gerald Finzi are placed alongside four masterful settings of John Addington Symonds by Ian Venables, 'Britain's greatest living composer of art song' (Musical Opinion), and the premiere of Eric McElroy's new cycle of three poems by Grevel Lindop. A pre-concert talk at 7:15pm with Grevel Lindop considers the effect of song-setting on our understanding of poetry.
- Ian Venables: Venetian Songs, Op. 22
- Gerald Finzi: O Fair to See
- John Ireland: Songs Sacred and Profane
- Eric McElroy: Tongues of Fire (*premiere)
- Anando Mukerjee, tenor (anandomukerjee.com)
- Eric McElroy, piano (eric-mcelroy.com)
- Grevel Lindop, poet (grevel.co.uk)
This concert is generously supported by Merton College (University of Oxford) and the John Ireland Charitable Trust.
Booking required via Eventbrite.