A major conference to mark the 950th anniversary of the Norman Conquest and 1000th anniversary of Danish conquest. Facebook users can see the ongoing discussion group here; anyone who wishes to join the mailing list should email.
Registration is now open
Plenary speakers: Professor John Gillingham (LSE, emeritus); Professor Elisabeth van Houts (Cambridge); Professor Andy Orchard (Oxford); Professor Elaine Treharne (Stanford)
A full conference programme and a list of participants are now available.
Topics under discussion include these themes:
- The Church; clerical reform, religious experience
- Literature, authors, and patronage
- Language and multilingualism, language contact
- Institutions and governance; lordship; kingship
- Warfare, battles, conduct in war, fighting men
- Art and material culture
- Society and peoples
- Trade and commerce
- Space, movement, contact, networks; England and Europe, England and Scandinavia
Late paper proposals may be accepted if vacant slots arise and they complement existing sessions.
Oxford Medieval Studies
Contact name: Laura Ashe
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website: English Faculty conference page
Audience: Open to all