Migration and Mobility Network
Organised by the Oxford Migration and Mobility Network (MMN) in collaboration with OxCo, this networking event “Interdisciplinarity in Migration Research” brings together doctoral students and early career researchers across the University of Oxford.
This event has three broad objectives: (1) to exchange ideas about how to conduct interdisciplinary migration research; (2) to invite DPhils and ECRs scholars to take on an active role in the Migration and Mobility Network and discuss the future directions of the Network; (3) to meet, connect, and enjoy some wine tasting under the guidance of our wine specialist. Each participant (UK only) will receive in advance two miniature bottles of wine (non-alcoholic options available).
The event will take place on 1 December 2021, from 4.30pm to 6.30pm (UK time).
The event will be structured as follows:
Part 1: Sharing experiences and challenges of interdisciplinary migration research (30’)
- Welcome and introduction to the network by the conveners.
- DPhils and ECRs across the University will share their experiences and challenges of conducting interdisciplinary migration research (3-5 minutes each, interspersed with two short Q&A sessions).
- Speakers: Guadalupe Chavez (DPhil, Department of Politics and International Relations ); Hallam Tuck (DPhil, Centre for Criminology); Roxana Akhmetova (DPhil, COMPAS); Francesca Esposito (British Academy Newton International Fellow, Centre for Criminology); Manolis Pratsinakis (Onassis Fellow, School of Anthropology and Museum Ethnography, COMPAS).
Part 2: Connecting meaningfully (60’)
- Wine tasting! Each participant (UK only) will receive in advance two miniature bottles of wine and will be invited to follow a tasting session led by our wine specialist.
- Quiz to follow (including questions on the presentations of your fellows!) with a prize to win.
Part 3: Networking purposefully (20’)
- Based on the information provided at registration, the attendees will be assigned to small breakout rooms for 5-minute chats with prompts (in groups of two and four)
Part 4: Looking ahead together (10’)
Have a say in the future of the network! Participate in this collective brainstorming about (digital) activities that could be useful to MMN members in the upcoming months
Registration: This is a limited capacity event. First come first served! Please note that we can only provide wine to those who are based in the UK. Please register here before 1 November, only if you plan on attending. For questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org