In Trinity Term 2022, TORCH presents a gaming and immersive technology event taking researchers and students ‘Inside Creative Industries.’
TORCH is inviting humanities researchers from the University of Oxford to join us at Rebellion Film Studios for an exciting afternoon of research collaboration with the Gaming & Immersive Technology sectors. Researchers will get behind-the-scenes access to the facility’s amazing motion capture technologies, explore Rebellion’s vast costume department, and gain insights from industry professionals about the importance of research collaborations to their work.
Rebellion Film Studios, based in Didcot, is one of Europe’s biggest independent cross media studios, producing content across video games, film, and TV production as well as comic book and fiction publishing. From creating global bestselling video games series’ Sniper Elite and Zombie Army, to publishing the world-renowned comic book 2000 AD, and partnering with film and game industry pioneers to develop virtual production, rebellion is at the forefront of the Britain’s creative industries.
The event aims to give academic staff and students, from DPhil students and early career researchers to those in mid to late career, an opportunity to understand and explore the wider context around research collaborations with the Creative Industries, specifically the Gaming & Immersive Technology sector. We hope these sessions give researchers an opportunity to be immersed in a creative, innovative environment while also providing insight into the current landscape of this sector, research collaborations with this sector and practical guidance for engaging with Gaming & Immersive Technology through research.
- 12:00pm: Transport from Radcliffe Humanities building to Rebellion Studios in Didcot
- 12:30pm/12:45pm: Arrival to Rebellion studios + lunch break
- 1:00pm – 1:45pm (Session 1): Gaming and Immersive Tech: the current landscape
- 1:45pm – 2:00pm: Sneak peek of the costume department
- 2:00pm – 3:00pm (Session 2): Research collaborations in Immersive Tech
- 3:00pm – 3:30pm: Motion capture demo
- 3:30pm – 4:30pm (Session 3): Future of the sector and why research collaboration is key
- 4:30pm – 5:30pm: Drinks + networking
- 5:30pm – 6:00pm: Transport back to central Oxford
To secure a place at this event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information by Friday 29 April 2022:
- Career Stage
- Dietary requirements
- Whether you will require a seat on the coach or make your own way to Rebellion Studios
For further information or questions regarding the event, please contact email@example.com.